[OSM-talk] Mapnik Tilecache Memory Error (Myanmar Cyclone Relief)

OJ W ojwlists at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:24:46 BST 2008

Yes, it was always designed for use with openlayers tiles

Thanks to Sebastian, who fixed the slippy.html today to display
pyrender tiles (typically pyrender is run as its own application, and
it starts serving tiles on http://localhost:1280/layer/z/x/y.png )

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/rendering/pyrender/

There's actually a screenshot of Sebastian's new rendering rules,
looking quite nice given the minimal amount of data its allowed to
use:

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=snapshot20080612145459xz2.png

note: the SVN copy of pyroute will query an OSM API server for data,
which sounds quite useful for your Myanmar setup where you have a
local OSM server, but not really appropriate for general use where
it's rude to do bulk-downloads.

There's a copy of the tile data module which doesn't use the API, it
assumes a server optimised for handing-out data in packages of one
map-tile per download:

http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/routing/pyroutelib2/tiledata.py

but that relies on my [[Tile data server]] which doesn't yet have a
server admin to keep it all up-to-date...

Note: the pyrender graphics are *nothing like* what you see in the
main data layers - currently they're barely more than a debug output
of the map. So don't use it when you want to impress anyone with map
quality.  However, it does share your 'quick setup' idea of not
needing to do stupid amounts of processing in advance just to serve
map tile images from an OSM API