[OSM-talk] Rendering of tracktype

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Fri Jun 13 02:54:42 BST 2008

Hi,

> If there is some legal reason for it to be only accessible by bikes and
> tractors, then you'll need to use access restrictions
> (access=no;agriculture=yes;bicycle=yes;foot=yes) anyway, as there is nothing
> that says normal cars are not allowed to use tracks of grade1

I don't know if this is a German specialty but the tracks being
discussed mainly carry the following sign disallowing all motorized traffic:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Zeichen_260.svg

And then the following exemption explicitly allowing
agricultural/forestry use:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Zusatzzeichen_1026-38.svg

Surely it is possible to tag these ways as
access=no,agriculture=yes,forestry=yes,bicycle=yes,horse=yes,foot=yes
etc.etc. but it seems wrong to me; the signage *forbids* certain
accesses and allows all others. You are suggesting to turn around the
logic with your tagging: Forbid all accesss and then explicitly allow
some. Which obviously breaks if new access types are introduced later.

What's more, in terms of kilometres we have vastly more of these in
Germany than, say, pedestrian zones in cities. Nobody says that we
should do away with highway=pedestrian even though you could perfectly
well tag it as highway=residential,access=no,foot=yes - pedestrian areas
are something that is known to everyone and so we just tag "here is a
pedestrian area" instead of trying to describe what exactly a pedestrian
area is.

So it is only understandable that the community is looking for an easy
way to tag these kinds of tracks, and until now many seem to have used
highway=track,tracktype=grade1 for them.

Maybe we should simply stop trying to find international lingo for
something that seems to be a national type of road, and just recommend
that people tag these things as "highway=land-und-forstwirtschaft", with
implied access restrictions.

Bye
Frederik