[OSM-talk] Front page

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Fri Jun 13 12:57:51 BST 2008

> >> Would it be worth moving the introduction, links, wiki, shop,
> >> conference advert, and donation buttons from the front page to an
> >> "about" tab in the view/edit/export.. tab strip?  The left-hand edge
> >> of the main page seems to be getting quite long, so the search box
> >> isn't visible without scrolling on some screens.

I also think that the current setup uses a bit too much space. Here is my attempt to make things more efficient and more pleasing.

Compare the current osm layout with my simple tweaks:
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6303/snapshot20080613135303az8.png

What it does:
1) remove the ugly box around the OSM logo
2) make the logo less important by removing upper/lower padding around it.
3) Add some "bullet points" before menu items so they are recongnizable
   as such. (Just stole some random ones on the net, we should obviously use
   different ones)
4) Remove the examples under the search box, this declutters the page a lot.
   So I think it's worth moving the examples to the linked wiki page.

All but 4) are a few tiny CSS tweaks.
Diff to the screen stylesheet:

50c50
<   padding: 10px;