[OSM-talk] SotM: From Asia

chippy chippy chippy2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 17:30:54 BST 2008

On 6/16/08, Hiroshi Miura <miurahr at acm.org> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello again! (we met in Japan)

>  I and my friend decided to join SotM from Japan.
>  There will be chance to report and present a situation of OSM in Japan
>  and east Asia.
>  I wanna learn your experience, too.

>  Then now,  I have a stupid question. What are you interested in Asia?
>  China and great fire wall?
>  Activity in Asia and Japan? Trends on technologies?

I find the unique structure of the highly dense three dimensional
cities in Japan and in Asia of interest. Mainly because they provide a
challenge to OSM & traditional 2-dimensional web maps that still use
the paper model of maps. And partly because they are so very unique
environments. (Very dense urban environments, multiple privatized
railways/subways, multi level underground streets, multiple land uses
on several floors, gps problems, navigation and routing)

Connected to this, perhaps something about the use of Personal
Navigation Devices, on phones etc, as it seems more advanced than in
Europe.  (More advanced than the iphone?)

other things:
Of course, present activity would be very interesting, how fast it's
growing, how mapping parties went, hints & tips, addresses etc.

I think it's also interesting to see what the political situation in
Japan and other Asian countries, with regards geodata & national
mapping agencies, if there are any barriers or assistances.

cheers,

Tim