[OSM-talk] Importing from Geonames.org

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Wed Jun 18 08:40:04 BST 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 08:25:24 +0100
"Andy Robinson \(blackadder-lists\)" <ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Simon Wood wrote:
> >Sent: 18 June 2008 7:31 AM
> >To: talk at openstreetmap.org
> >Subject: [OSM-talk] Importing from Geonames.org
> >
> >There's a comment on the wiki that Geonames.org may be tainted data.... is
> >this true or false?

Tainted in what way? Are there copyright issues?

> >There are 256 towns/villages/hamlets missing from Alberta (as compaired to
> >the official lists). Geonames appears to have lat/long for a fair
> >proportion of these. If the geoname data is OK, I will set about importing
> >these/generating nodes for them.
[...]

The other problem that I have noticed with the geonames database is that
the latitude, longitude for places in Delhi, India, are wrong. This is
apparently a known issue, and we will try to contribute fixed positions
back to geonames.

Regards,
Gora