[OSM-talk] two highways use the same way

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 14:48:38 BST 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Rory McCann <rory at technomancy.org> wrote:

> Louis Liu wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > How do I tag highway section that shared by two or more highways?
> >
> > This is an example:
> > http://p2.p.pixnet.net/albums/userpics/2/2/32022/1207242904.jpg
> > The road sign presents the way section is highway 19A (省道臺十九甲線) and
> > also highway 172 (172 縣道).
> > The situation is common in Taiwan.
> >
> > In cording
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tw:Taiwan_road_tagging,
> > highway 19A is tagged as "highway=primary"
> > and highway 172 is tagged as "highway="secondary".
> >
> > So, how can we tag it?
> >
> > The relation between the two highway:

> >               |19A
> > --------------========================------------------
> >   172                  19A & 172      |             172
> >                                       |19A
>
> Hi Louis,
>
> I believe the proper way to tag this is by using the semi-colon to
> seperate the possible values. Eg 'ref=19A;172'. I think you should tag
> it 'highway=primary' and not 'highway=primary;secondary'.
>
> At least in Ireland, there are a few national routes that have a
> motorway section (eg N4 is the main road and part of it is a motorway,
> the M4). The motorway section would be 'highway=motorway'
>
> Ref:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Faq#What_shall_I_do_for_roads_that_have_multiple_values_for_a_tag.3F
>
> Rory

This is very common in the US, too. Sometimes there are state highways
(highway=primary or secondary) using the same road as an interstate
(motorway) for a section. Since the road in the shared section is still a
motorway, it's just tagged as such and then the ref values (highway numbers)
that apply to the shared section are semicolon separated as Rory indicated.
It might be a good idea to list the larger/more important highway first in
the ref.

Karl