[OSM-talk] pronunciation tag

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 05:02:34 BST 2008

 2008/6/24 Michal Migurski <mike at stamen.com>:
> I'd also take
> issue with your rendering of Divisadero - it's a lot like Sepulveda in
> in LA, apparently the wrong pronunciation is the right pronunciation. =)

 That's a whole other can of worms.  Is the right pronunciation:

 - The way the locals says it?
 - The way a subgroup of locals of a particular linguistic group say it?
 - The way the rest of the country says it?  (In Australia, there is at
 least one town were the inhabitants pronounce it different from pretty
 much everybody else in Australia. I understand Maine in the US has
 similar examples)

 There are a few places in Australia and New Zealand that were named
 after places in Europe, but aren't pronounced the same. Well, not
 pronounced the same by everybody, in any case.  Who's right?

 Stephen