[OSM-talk] pronunciation tag

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 09:05:49 BST 2008

2008/6/24 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:
> So it would be nice if we could tag how things sound as well as what
> they're called. GPS devices are starting to try (badly) at speaking
> out the names of things.
>
> Now there are some ways of marking this up already, but they look
> awful and require a degree in linguistics, viz
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
>
> (pronounced /ˌsuːpɚˌkælɪˌfrædʒəlˌɪstɪkˌɛkspiːˌælɪ
> ˈdoʊʃəs/)
>
> Thoughts?

why not have a repository of ogg files on the wiki/in a database for all names?

when someone downloads some tiles/some data from osmxapi or whatever,
it gets the corresponding ogg files

someone with the requisite degree in linguistics could provide us with
some hints/rules/config/i don't know to set up the software so any of
us could do it, or we just record them ourselves. they won't all be
the same voice, accent, volume or anything else, but hey it'll be
interesting listening as we drive along