[OSM-talk] pronunciation tag

elvin ibbotson elvin.ibbotson at poco.org.uk
Tue Jun 24 14:49:13 BST 2008

2008/6/24 SteveC <steve at asklater.com>:

> So it would be nice if we could tag how things sound as well as what
> they're called.

First you need to decide how things sound. For example, Redcar is
pronounced Redker by locals but red car by most others and Greenhill
(in my home town of Sheffield) is known as Gren'l by Sheffielders
(unless, perhaps, they're trying to sound posh) but green hill by all
you other folk. A friend from London would not believe it was not
pronounced green hill but would have laughed at me if I'd pronounced
Greenwich green witch. There must be thousands of similar examples
and this is one reason English can never be written phonetically
without sacrificing regional dialect. This is less problematic for
some other languages, but then non-native speakers often mess things
up (listen to Brits or Americans ordering zuchini or chorizo). Maybe
we should just concentrate on spelling things right :-)

elvin