[OSM-talk] short forms of street names

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 11:37:40 BST 2008

2008/6/25 wer-ist-roger <juwelier-online at web.de>:
> I don't like the idea of the short_name tag for common names. The rendering
> engine should be configured to shorten abbreviations like road, street,
> vägen, gatan, Straße or what ever by itself. This is much more sufficient
> then adding the tags one by one. That gives everyone the chance to choose for
> them selfs if they like to shorten a name or not. This is especially
> important when you can shorten more then one thing in one name. For example
> Sankt Ingbert Straße could be shortened:
>
> I believe that the rendering engine should be responsible for shorting names

i think he was referring to the bits that can't be shortened
automatically, for instance shortening "Karangahape Road" (in
auckland) to "K' Road" as it's also known

or shortening "Durham" of "Durham Lane East" (also akl) to "Dur"
(because the street's very short, and we can't fit all the full name
in) by hand, and letting software rules shorten Lane to Ln and East to
E.