[OSM-talk] Google Map Maker - press release

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 09:11:49 BST 2008

My experience says that an institution like the foundation should not
get involved in trying to give advice or otherwise comment on the
product of a competitor. The reader will either know who we are and
does not need to be informed about GMM, or the reader will think that
the press release does not tell the whole story and give GMM a chance.

We're bigger than them in this space, so why give them free publicity ?

They're going to draw users who do not know the difference between
free beer and free speech. They wouldn't bother getting it right
(rendering, routing etc).

You and Steve can say anything you like in your personal capacity. But
I think it should be a bit more positive like "OpenStreetMap responds
to Google's effort with highly detailed of Googleplex"