[OSM-talk] description tag and opinions

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Jun 27 16:24:42 BST 2008

At 03:51 PM 6/27/2008, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
>What's the current thinking in general on what we should do with the
>"description" tag? From what I gather the consensus is generally to avoid
>anything which might be seen as an opinion, so far example "serves
>Dunbridge Ales" might be seen as valid whilst "serves Dunbridge Ales, and
>I strongly recommend Old Wizzle as it's the finest in the district" might
>be a no-no. Likewise "serves Sunday lunches", ok "serves particularly
>high-quality food" not.

The description tag is my baby and I'd like to see it widely
used.  I'd be happy to see an anything-goes-policy here, I think this
would be a place where a human touch does not hurt.  It is difficult
to divide opinion from "qualitative assessment" in just a few free form words.

BTW, I've also been experimenting with name spacing on the
description tag to tighten up relevancy.  For example

Just my personal opinion, also interested to see what other folks think,
Mike