[OSM-talk] Rendering power lines: black is beauty

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Thu Mar 20 09:10:26 GMT 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 07:55:02 +0100 (CET), "Karl Eichwalder"
<ke at gnu.franken.de> wrote:
> Things not too important, we are rendering highly visible with the nice
> black color.  They are also obfuscating tracks:

Agreed! Look at this map view:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.38214&lon=-0.14944&zoom=15&layers=B0FT

I don't think they should even be visible in urban areas like this on our
main street map, what use are they? I can see how they would be useful for
a walking map in sparse rural areas, but otherwise they're:

a) Not obvious (what other street map has power lines on it?)
b) Too eye-catching (certainly in "old" countries where straight lines are
otherwise very rare)
c) Not of any use

I'd favour removing them entirely, or failing that just making them much
less prominent.

Tata,
Tom