[OSM-talk] Survey: Bad Map Rendering

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Fri Mar 21 12:33:57 GMT 2008

Maybe routing is an interesting area to research as it is related to
rendering and hinting or additional input from mappers.

This is all AFAIK, sorry if I'm wrong here:
So far we've seen a few examples of routing using OSM data but no real
'measurement' of how 'good' this routing actually is. Also upscaling the
areas that can be routed (e.g. a trip of 1000 km) is something that
cannot be performed well with our data or by our routing applications.
Large scale, 'publicly ready' routing by OSM is one of the major areas
in which this project is lacking. Perhaps routing capabilities can be
improved by the a student with a proper background who can spend some
significant time on the subject.

Perhaps starting with a little research on how well our data is suitable
for routing as well as examining the existing solutions. Followed by
suggestions to improvements, (partial) implementation of these
improvements, test results on how well the improvements work and
conclusions/recommendations.