[OSM-talk] OSM & Political problems (Re: China cracks down on illegal online map services to protect state security)

Bernt M. Johnsen berntm at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 12:14:00 GMT 2008

On 27/03/2008, Edoardo Marascalchi <edoardo at edoardomarascalchi.it> wrote:
> http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-03/25/content_7858467.htm
> [...]
>     The campaign would also target websites that made mistakes such as
>  labeling Taiwan a "country", wrongly drawing national boundaries, or
>  omitting important islands including the South China Islands, Diaoyu
>  Islands and Chiwei Island, said Min.

I think this will be an increasing problem as OSM gains more momentum.
For some people, national boundaries have huge political importance,
and we should perhaps give some thought on how to deal with this
before we get an edit war wrt Taiwan is a country or wether Kosovo is
a part of Serbia or not.

Wikipedia has these problems and deals with them (see e.g. this
article with corresponding discussions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_Genocide), but since OSM is more
like a sea of data than a set of separate articles, I assume it migt
be more complex to deal with  in OSM.

I also assume (could not find anything in the wiki) that OSM ideally
should be politically neutral.
--
Bernt Marius Johnsen