[OSM-talk] OSM & Political problems (Re: China cracks down on illegal online map services to protect state security)

tim chippy2005 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 14:02:12 BST 2008

 Maybe we can have the data of all the different view
>  points/angles and let the renderers (people) decide about the resulting
>  rendering (map).

+ 1 for this. The OSM database can handle multiple views, we should
encourage different renderers.

Many people confuse the rendered data on seen when they visit
openstreetmap.org as the *only* view of the data. (With wikipedia, the
words on a wiki page is both the data and the view of the data). More
renderers / servers would help clear the confusion.

So there are actually two questions:
1) How do we as osmers want to represent the data as shown on openstreetmap.org.
2) How we can deal with different viewpoints in the data, to enable
different representation by others.

in the first case, yes, we would have to make decisions - in the
second case, we enable others to make their own decisions.

Tim