[OSM-talk] Wide tracks with cycle access

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Thu May 1 10:16:26 BST 2008

Karl Eichwalder wrote:
>Sent: 01 May 2008 7:36 AM
>To: 80n
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Wide tracks with cycle access

snip

>Wondering whether using surface=gravel is already understood by the
>renderers?  Thus far, I was using "unpaved" exclusively.

I too have been using "unpaved" to date and will continue to do so, however
I accept that in some instances I also want to state what the surface is
made up of and haven't really got to grips with that for unpaved surfaces.
Paved surfaces are easy enough (including those covered with chippings).

These type of scenarios crop up:

Farm tracks in Norfolk where dry sand fills the ruts making cycling near on
impossible.
Farm tracks in Cumbria where natural boulders and cobbles protrude regularly
through the surface.
Tracks that have had potholes filled in with railway ballast.

These are just a few scenarios, none of which I find an easy way to tag,
thus to date I have ignored doing so.

Cheers

Andy