[OSM-talk] Wide tracks with cycle access

Stephen Gower socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li
Thu May 1 10:39:23 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 08:39:15PM +0100, 80n wrote:

> bicycle=yes and surface=gravel are an incompatible combination in my book ;)

  There's gravel and there's gravel though - pea gravel like my
  grandfather had on his drive (in the New Forest!) and had to rake
  after cars had been over it is absolutely no good for cycling,
  while a self-binding gravel such as seen on
  http://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel05.htm is perfectly fine.  I
  cycle a section of the Thames Path on my daily commute that comes
  into the latter category, and apart from the puddles tending to get
  larger each time it rains, it's just as good as the asphalt
  sections.

  The cycle paths in the New Forest are somewhere in between these
  two categories - while the Thames Path one could reasonably be
  labeled surface=dirt, the New Forest ones are definitely gravel,
  but it's well compacted and many of them will be cycled on by
  hundreds of people a week during the summer.

  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/35904
  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/388784
  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/35915
  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/87018
  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/381057
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:New_Forest_Cycle_path.jpg

  From these photos it can be seen that there's quite a variety even
  within the National Park and depending on your style of bike you
  might want to avoid some or all of them.