[OSM-talk] Bulk Data Import how-to and tips

Patrick Weber p.weber at ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 1 11:59:01 BST 2008

Hi list

I have been mapping my home country Luxembourg for the past 6 months. I
recently have been offered by another OSM user who works at the national
road works agency (not shure about the translation but anyway), to get
the national road network (all primary highways, trunk and motorways)
imported into OSM. Apparently they are okay with it. Great News!

Now I am trying to figure out how this will work in practice, as we are
not importing into a blank canvas, but a sizable bit of the road network
has been done already. How can we merge the two datasets, and keep the
best bits of both?

Also, whats the best procedure for the conversion. I suspect we will get
the data as shapefiles. Can JOSM read shapefiles?

Thanks for helping us.