[OSM-talk] Background-only on potlatch?

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri May 2 21:04:54 BST 2008

On Friday 02 May 2008, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> OJ W wrote:
> > Is there a way to turn off map data on potlatch, for when you want
> > to zoom-out and look at something on the satellite photos, but
> > don't want to trouble OSM with downloading an entire town's data
> > that you're not planning to use?
>
> There's a request I've not heard before!
>
> Not easily. I suppose the easiest way right now would be to save
> edit.html, potlatch.swf and any required JS/CSS to your hard drive,
> and open that. If you don't have an OSM install running, it will try
> to connect to "your local database" and fail, thereby just leaving
> you with the imagery.

I think he wanted a way to temporarily turn off the map data, so to be
able to turn it on again when he zoomed back in to a new area to start
mapping there, so that solution won't help I guess... (it's also
something I've been wondering about when I was panning across a city
which took a while rendering the map data every time I moved around)

Right now you have to switch to the "view" page, zoom out, move around,
zoom in again and switch back to "edit", but I guess the "view" part
doesn't work when the area isn't mapped or rendered yet for example, so
you have to either guess the new working location, or do a lot of
panning in Potlatch.

Greetings
Ben