[OSM-talk] Users whose contributions are in the public domain

Vincent MEURISSE vincent.meurisse at gmail.com
Sat May 3 11:36:38 BST 2008

I don't understand why some users want their work in PD.
The goal of osm is to have a map of the world freely available for
anyone. But with PD someone (eg google) can take all the work of osm,
correct and complete it, and copyright it in a way that osm cannot
reuse the modification. So the copyrighted map will be better than the
free one.
The license cc by-sa is a good protection against that as it will
always allow osm to use derivate work of the original map.