[OSM-talk] Fixing unnamed ways & places (was: [t*gg*ng] Road crossings proposal - status?)

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Tue May 6 11:10:16 BST 2008

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio wrote:

> I totally agree. A map is basically a drawing, so the most important
> thing is the shape of the ways themselves. I would sooner say that
> the trivial part is adding the place-names.

It's also easy enough to actively seek out and tag unnamed ways, though
harder for places, using Maplint output. Personally, I plot various
classes of maplint badness to a colour PS file using gnuplot and carry
the printout with me for doing targeted fixups.

<t.i.c.>
I propose the addition of an maplint_excuse=* tag which can be used to
suppress maplint error and warning output when it's known that the data
cannot be gathered. For example, if the sign has been stolen from a
highway=residential, and the council haven't got round to replacing it.
</t.i.c>

--
Andrew Chadwick