[OSM-talk] contours on main map

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu May 8 08:13:26 BST 2008

At 04:32 AM 5/8/2008, Robin Paulson wrote:
>is there any intention to include contours on the main map at any
>point? would it be possible to have them as a static layer (i.e. they
>not be re-rendered every week like the mapnik images, to save
>processing time), with a transparent background?
>
>alternatively, are there any world wide maps out there with contours
>and osm data, that update regularly?

Nick's http://www.free-map.org.uk uses OSM data and NASA's SRTM
elevations, which are available on a global basis.  As I recall
though, the contours cause a massive increase in the average size of
map tiles - making it difficult to serve a single small country (the
UK) let alone the world.  Even Scotland could not be supported due
its mountainous terrain (mere pimples on a global scale - sorry Scotland).

It would be nice though. I especially like the look of Andy's UK
cycle map. Quite apart from their practical use, contours can
heighten the graphics appeal of a map.

Mike