[OSM-talk] golf course marking

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Thu May 8 11:56:25 BST 2008

Robin Paulson wrote:
>Sent: 07 May 2008 9:35 PM
>To: Erik Johansson
>Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] golf course marking
>
>2008/5/7 Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com>:
>>  True, But I think  landuse=brownfield should be banned, and all 300
>>  ways tagged as such should be renamed to landuse=development &
>>  demolition.
>
>it's pretty uk-centric i agree; along with a lot of the tags in osm
>
>actually, i think the whole landuse category is a lazy bodge; every
>tag there can easily be replaced with something far more descriptive,
>consistent and useful
>
>>  It's very badly name if you aren't a native English speaker,
>>  especially since it's included in the Potlatch auto complete feature.
>>  Then again highway is also a strange tag name.
>
>yes, it is a strange choice. it leads to irrationalities like
>highway=footway and highway=cycleway
>why we're not using right_of_way=motorway|primary|cycleway|footway|
>and so on, i don't know

It's entirely my fault that we have highway=

The reasoning at the time was that I wanted to group similar features and
where possible use "way" at the end as that was the common denominator for
all of the generic "types" I was thinking about. If I had picked "roadway" I
felt using it to describe a footpath might be less than intuitive for
instance. So highway it became (very much thinking of highways and byways at
the time).

As Richard has pointed out, the Right of Way over a particular route is an
entirely different matter and one that is best avoided unless we truly do
know the legal situation.

Cheers

Andy