[OSM-talk] Tagging of jogging tracks

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu May 8 14:17:31 BST 2008

At 02:23 PM 5/8/2008, Inge Wallin wrote:
>How should I tag a track in the woods that are designated for exercise like
>walking or jogging?  I tried to read the page Map_Features in the wiki, but
>didn't really get much help.
>
>All the values for the 'sport' key are just applied to nodes and areas, not
>ways. The same goes for the 'leisure' tag.
>
>A combination that I can imagine is:
>   highway=footway
>   leisure=jogging
>but how would that be rendered?  Another option is highway=track.
>
>The area in question is
>http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=58.5098&lon=15.5168&zoom=14&layers=B0FT ,
>i.e. the exercise area northeast of Ljungsbro in Sweden.  These things are
>quite common here in Sweden, so I imagine that I won't be alone in my
>question about how to tag this.

This is a "Motionspår" area with several short to
medium length tracks aimed individually at
joggers/runners, health walkers, mountain bikers
and sometimes cross-country skiers, often with
way-markers showing the sport?  There is really
nothing similar in the UK so it needs a bit of new creativity.

I suggest extending the sport= tag to ways as you
describe (that is what I do now):

highway=footway
sport=jogging

To show up on the map right now, I do this:

highway=footway
sport=jogging
name=jogging track

(Sorry, my Swedish does not yet extend to
"jogging track"!).  I leave the name in lower
case to distinguish it from "real" names.

Else, you need to propose a specific set of
Motionspår sport names and how they'd be rendered
when encountered. May be a bit complicated for now?

Mike