[OSM-talk] contours on main map

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Fri May 9 21:31:00 BST 2008

> Mmm - I like Srtm2osm & plan to add the contours to a Garmin map later.
>

> The Isle of Wight comes to almost 8Mb for 10m contours - so it's going
> to be BIG for a decent size area!
>
> Mark

Yes, OSM XML is probably not an ideal format to put contours in. One of
the reasons is the way ways are represented in OSM, as arrays of node
indices, with nodes maintained separately. This is useful for "ordinary"
OSM data, since nodes can be shared between multiple ways, but with
contours it just means an unnecessary overhead.
In new Kosmos I plan to store contours in binary files, this should
reduce the memory consumption.

Igor

--
http://igorbrejc.net