[OSM-talk] [OSM-dev] Developers requested to help provide "completeness" tools

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Mon May 12 18:06:20 BST 2008

On Monday 12 May 2008 18:06:59 Chris Morley wrote:

> Starting with a single level of completeness makes sense, but I think it
> should be public roads, named where feasible.

I have a different view.  I think we should have a leveled scheme from the
beginning.  I suggest the following:

Level 1: All the highways (using OSM lingo) usable by cars within an area are
mapped
Level 2: All highways are mapped and named
Level 3: All highways down to cycleways are mapped (and named if feasible).
------
Level 4: Level 3 + all amenities within a given set.
Level 5: Level 4 + maybe some other amenities or buildings or whatever we
decide.

These levels map(!) nicely to how I work myself when I map out an area: start
with the roads and streets for the cars, and name them. Then later go back to
the area and add the cycleways. Sometimes I map a whole lot of other areas
before coming back to map the cycleways. Regarding the levels: I can
understand if some people would switch level 2 and 3 and I would be fine with
that.

When an area reaches level 3, I would say that it is "finished" for the
purpose of finding the way (remember it's Open _Street_Map :-) ). All extra
information is a bonus, and necessary for certain types of maps, but for the
general user or a router, level 3 should be all that is needed.

> This covers the essential
> basic requirements for a number of potential applications for example,
> routing, delivery, estate agents, bus services. The points of interest,
> etc. are clearly desirable and but may not be always collected. For
> instance, tracing from arial photos and naming from an out of copyright
> gazeteer; or imports like TIGER. (Also I'm not sure I collected all of
> them when I started 2 years ago.) Start basic and have these in a
> subsequent level.

Yes, but it would be good if we planned for at least some of the subsequent
levels right from the start.

	-Inge