[OSM-talk] Unknown road classifications

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Tue May 13 09:19:14 BST 2008

On Mon, 12 May 2008, Alex Mauer wrote:

> IMO if it's sufficiently unknown that it will have to be revisited
> anyway for more accurate classification, marking it as a road rather
> than a complete unknown isn't really going to be helpful to anyone.

Sure it is - I know I can drive down a road, I don't know that I can drive
down any arbitrary highway feature.

> I don't think it's a good idea for the highway tag to be used for so
> many non-road things -- but that's probably a discussion for another time.

Yes, I dislike the current overloading of tags, but I don't think
that is going to change soon.  Andy Allan asked me to put together a wiki
page with respect to the namespacing discussion, which I haven't had time
to do yet, but overloading tags like "highway" is one of the things I'd
like to address on that page when I get chance.

  - Steve