[OSM-talk] Partners sought for cycle routing project

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed May 14 14:38:50 BST 2008

As you quite rightly point out the UK initiative has crown (c) all over it,
and the core data will be commercial and the core data standards are based
on OS standards etc etc, and that it is only the subjective data will be
community collected.

A number of us pushed for something more open and we thought we were getting
somewhere but then the doors started closing. I think the DfT is currently
spending £250K collecting data for a few places to enhance the base OS model
which is all a bit alloying, but I thought the data standard and attributes
were worth circulating to the list.

OSM data is not mentioned in the standard explicitly, but the mapping
between OSM and their standard is ok. The UK one is much more complex than
the OSM one because the roads layer and the footpaths layer and the cycling
layer are all distinct in the UK model.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes until an authority launches
an official cycle journey planner based on OSM data.

Regards,

Peter