[OSM-talk] Gosmore is back !

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:50:34 BST 2008

I rewrote much of gosmore and the new features include :

Much better rendering : Rotated text,  icons (uses josm/mappaint
rules). Because cairographics is so slow, I included a detail button.

Better search : Nearly all tags are now indexed, so you can search for
'suburb' or fuel. Duplicate matches are now show with nearest first,
so 'fuel' will give you the nearby fueling stations.

Rebuild with less memory. I rebuilt planet 071024 (1 GB compressed) on
a duel core 2.4 GHz machine with 1GB RAM in around 2 hours. What I
would really appreciate for tesing the rebuild is :
*ssh access to a 64 bit computer with the latest planet and around 30
GB free disk space* so that I can test the rebuild of the latest
planet.

New hash function for less thrashing.
==
A WinCE port, routing and a few other features are still missing and I
want to do lots more fine tuning. So I haven't done a svn commit. But
there is a copy at http://www.rational.co.za/gosmore for people who
want to play around a bit in the mean time :
wget http://www.rational.co.za/gosmore/gosmore-20080515.tar.gz
tar xzf gosmore-20080515.tar.gz
cd gosmore
make