[OSM-talk] Using Osmarender to hilight Relation/Routes?

Simon Wood simon at mungewell.org
Fri May 16 04:00:38 BST 2008

Hi all,
I am working with a local trail mapping project to see if OSM can provide the tools that they require to map out the trails in a mountian resort. Eventually they would like to have a map showing all the walking, cycling, cross country sking, ATV and snowmobile trails in the area, I believe that this is an excellent way to show case OSM and to get them all entering data into the database.

I'm looking into the possibility of using Osmarender to output a SVG map (which) will then be printed. At present I can envisage how the physical side of the map will work (with footways, cycleways, tracks, roads etc), however as far as I can see there is no way to get Osmarender to highlight a Relation/Route. Prehaps I am missing the magic?

Ideally I would like to do the equivilant of the UK Cycle Map, which over-renders the Relation/Route(s) onto the base map:
http://www.gravitystorm.co.uk/osm/?zoom=14&lat=6699525.62319&lon=-31464.02406&layers=B00

It would appear that all their (UK cycle guys') data is stored within the OSM database, see:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.437&lon=-0.29509&zoom=15&layers=B0FT

I am not 100% how the project want to format their maps, but the idea of numbered sign posts was mentioned. So is there a way of labelling a Relation/Route/Stop, so that a renderer can put a number (or text) label over a node?

Sort of like the previously feature image:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Image:Cyclingnodes.jpg

I spent a while poking around the Wiki and trying to understand the XSL source (not my forte), but am still none the wiser. Anyone got any hints/clues for me?

Thanks,
Simon.