[OSM-talk] OSM project at German school

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri May 23 13:00:25 BST 2008

Hi!

Monday and Tuesday of this week I was in Cologne for a mapping project
at a German highschool. 30 Students of age 16 mapped part of their city.
On Tuesday evening I gave a talk on OSM to students, teachers, parents
and the general public and the students presented what they had done.

A more detailed (German language) report is on the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping-Aktion_am_Elisabeth-von-Thüringen-Gymnasium

Many thanks to our two sponsors, the Linuxhotel and B1 Systems who paid
for 10 Garmin eTrex Legend HCx GPS devices which we used for this event and
which can now be borrowed free of charge for other mapping events in Germany.
(See http://www.openstreetmap.de/gps-verleih/ .)

I hope this is an inspiration for others to go to their local school and
do similiar things.

The event created lots of interest from the Media. One print and one online
journalist were there as well as a TV team from a regional public channel.
See the wiki page for a link to the report and video.

Jochen