[OSM-talk] National borders - mapnik

Ted Mielczarek ted at mielczarek.org
Thu May 29 01:32:19 BST 2008

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Beau Gunderson <beau at beaugunderson.com> wrote:
> Please clarify one thing:
>
>    "any border that is both a state and national border should be tagged at
> the highest level (in this case national, admin_level=2)"
>
> To me this sounds like there is just one way for the state/national
> border... but...
>
>    "and the state borders will come in too, with their appropriate style."
>
> This sounds like there are two ways, one for the state border and one for
> the national border.
>
> This seems to make the most sense to me given the second sentence quoted
> above.

The US state borders are already split into multiple ways, since they
all would have been > 250 nodes otherwise. It shouldn't be a problem
to further modify them to make parts of them national borders instead.
Just make sure to keep the left:state/right:state tags as appropriate.
I would agree with Steve that if someone wants to use them as
polygons, they should be post-processing anyway. (Or just using the
original TIGER data, which is shapefiles.)

-Ted