[OSM-talk] National borders - mapnik

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu May 29 10:43:45 BST 2008

In message <!&!AAAAAAAAAAAuAAAAAAAAAOKaD4mR3JBOrEpRon92nMgBANp/H2q5kHFIvKMsnZiQaZAAAAABxJAAABAAAACjdKTwVoKvRK9LdIr5qxFOAQAAAAA=@googlemail.com>
        Andy Robinson <ajrlists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This issue comes up with quite a lot of tags. Bus routes for instance where
> you have more than one route reference running along the same way. In that
> instance I use a "|" between each route reference, could we not do the same
> for admin_level data? ie add all the numbers that are relevant, because in
> some cases perhaps lower ones do not exist for the location.

Well using ';' is more normal for such things, and people have indeed
been doing that for admin_level.

The problem is that it breaks the mapnik rendering as I understand
things because osm2pgsql is only able to import one number into the
database and depending on the version you have I believe it either
fails completely on such multi-valued tags or just imports the first
value and ignores the rest.

What it should probably do in this case is to find the lowest value
and import that, as mapnik will want to render the border in the
most significant style. That might be expensive though.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/