[OSM-talk] coastline within park

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Thu May 29 11:42:33 BST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 3:57 AM, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com> wrote:
> i've got a situation come up, that i'm not sure how to map:
>
> http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=-36.9241&lon=174.77611&zoom=17&layers=0B0FF
>
> this shows a park which is near the coast. it includes an area of
> water linked, by a man-made tunnel, to the ocean, wholly contained
> with in the park. previously, it was completely open to the sea - the
> motorway to the south since built on a causeway has cut it off, apart
> from the tunnel. therefore, the area of water is tidal, and hence is
> demarcated from land by the coastline
>
> how could this be mapped/tagged? initially, i tagged the coastline as
> layer=1 to make it show up on the renderers above the park (by
> default, park renders above coastline AFAICS).
>
> any ideas? should the lagoon be tagged as coastline as i have done, or
> is that stretching a point too far? i don't think the park stops at
> the water's edge, so cutting a hole in it is not suitable

just tag it natural=water.
You can add some random tidal=yes, water=salty kind of thing if you want.

Whether something is coastline always gets a little fuzzy in places.

> this also brings up the question of what happens when a park (such as
> the great barrier reef) extends over an ocean/islands: does it obscure
> what is underneath? is there a way round this?

I think this is a very different kind of "park". You're no longer
defining a physical thing, but a logical one. The rendering will have
to take account of that, as should the tagging.

Dave