[OSM-talk] National borders in the British Islands

Bruce Cowan lists at bcowan.fastmail.co.uk
Thu May 29 16:47:09 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 14:26 +0100, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:

> I've always thought that England / Scotland / Wales / Northern Ireland
> forming the UK are pretty similar to the 50 states forming the USA - I
> think it would be reasonable to use the same markings on the default map
> to divide them.
>
> Legal purists may want different (or extra) tags in the database on the
> grounds that it's a completely different situation, but they could be
> rendered the same.

For all purposes, this is probably reasonably accurate apart from the
fact that one "state" has no devolution, 2 have devolution and one has
further devolution. For the purposes of a map, the precise nature of the
powers of each part are negligible.

I suppose technically the USA is similar as each state has different
powers available to them (or I think they do).
--
Bruce Cowan <bcowan at fastmail.co.uk>