[OSM-talk] Overlapping & Crossing ways

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri May 30 00:41:21 BST 2008

2008/5/30 Mark Williams <mark.666 at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> This is another Potlatch grumble - but it's not really Potlatch, it's the
> internet.
>
> I just found a whole lot (really, a lot) of overlapping ways with some
> really old data (Potlatch alpha & before) buried under new versions from
> Potlatch v0.6a & 0.8 - for instance, the M25 Junction 30 had 3 (three!!)
> layers of roundabout in places. 2 hours has seen most of it off... I wonder
> how much of other peoples' time I just deleted?

i had a similar problem near me recently. i had a lot of streets that
had been 'helpfully' drawn, without tags, in small, unjoined segments.
after i mapped the area in question, i merged all the relevant
segments and tagged them as appropriate (all in potlatch, approx.
version 0.9a i think).

i was looking at the rendering the next day, and realised that when
they'd been merged, a new long road had been created, but the original
short pieces had not been deleted - not at all what i had imagined
would happen, and surely not intentional. i guess this is what
happened here with your m25 problems

maybe we need an extra warning category in maplint, to indicate
duplicate ways  - i.e. using the same nodes and having the same tags?