[OSM-talk] [tagging] access=license

Andrew Chadwick (email lists) andrewc-email-lists at piffle.org
Fri May 30 12:59:26 BST 2008

cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:

> In the Netherlands there's a number of parking lots where you can only park
> if you have a valid parking license from the local government.
>
> Parking lots of this kind are common enough (in inner cities) that they have
> their own official traffic sign (number 9 at [1]), but there's currently no
> good way to tag them.
>
> The proposal is to add the new value 'license' to the 'access' key.
> Parking lots of this kind would then be tagged with:
> - amenity=parking
> - access=license

Yes, I think this is sensible. Some canal towpaths in the UK nominally
require a permit for use by cyclists (
http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/cycling/permit ; no, I've never
seen it enforced), so we should say that it can be use for any of the
access 'helper' tags like motorcar=* or bicycle=* (and not just limit it
to amenity=parking, of course).

+1 for <access-related-tag>=license, to mean some sort of document,
sticker or whatever must be shown on demand or displayed openly in order
for access to be granted.

Access tags imply rights of use for (all) the tagged purpose(s) in my
book, not just rights of passage through. Does everyone else use that
interpretation?

The only objection I can see is that some might misspell the word.

--
Andrew Chadwick