[OSM-talk] National borders in the British Islands

Steve Chilton S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk
Fri May 30 15:55:08 BST 2008

I am glad I mentioned it!
Certainly stirred up some nationalist and sub-nationalist hornets.
Can I suggest a cease-fire on it.
Also suggest a compromise for now.
I propose adding code to style sheet to show admin_level=3 as a less
dominant variant of admin_level=2 to show at same zooms, so that
"countries (=2)" and "sub-countries (=3)" can both show at reasonable
levels.
Activists are then free to bash each other in tag wars (changing tags
between 2 and 3) at will.
Scope for the DB to reflect the nuances (agreed or otherwise!) and the
mapnik layer to show something.

Cheers
STEVE

Steve Chilton, Learning Support Fellow
Learning and Technical Support Unit Manager
School of Health and Social Sciences
Middlesex University
phone/fax: 020 8411 5355
email: steve8 at mdx.ac.uk