[OSM-talk] Mulltipolygons and Mapnik

Chris Hill chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 31 18:27:14 BST 2008

Dermot McNally wrote:
> 2008/5/23 Chris Hill <chillly809 at yahoo.co.uk>:
>

>> I took the liberty of changing the islands to match their outer so I expect
>> it to render.
>>

> One Mapnik render later, we have some solid data:
>
> Multipolygons with untagged inner elements (per wiki): Don't render on Mapnik
> Multipolygons with inner elements tagged as the outer ones: Do render on Mapnik
>
> At this point, we _could_ define the current behaviour as a standard,
> update the wiki and change whatever data isn't compliant.
>
> *or* we can see if the Mapnik brains are willing/able to support
> multipolygons according to the current wiki instructions.
>
> I don't really mind which, since certainty is all we really need here.
>
> Opinions?
> Dermot
I've already changed the wiki to match this situation.  This is the way
it was, so we are just back to the same position before it was changed
(in my view) erroneously.

I also thing this makes logical sense too.  The outer marks the edge of
the water and so does the inner.  There is a short discuusion on the
wiki talk page.

Cheers, Chris