[OSM-talk] Proposed Relations

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Mon Nov 3 12:31:54 GMT 2008

The page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Relations#Proposed_uses_of_Relations
has a large number of proposed uses of relations, but there never seems to
be any forward movement on these.

However flawed the voting system for proposed tags is, at least there is a
recognised procedure, and eventually proposed tags either make it into the
mainstream of OSM or they don't.  But this doesn't seem to be the case with
proposed relations.

I suspect the reason for this might be twofold.

Firstly there is no recognised procedure for moving these forward.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, many of the proposed uses of
relations require some degree of knowledge of what the main renderers /
other users of OSM data can actually cope with.  So for instance there would
be no point in me trying to move a particular proposal forward as I don't
know if in practice the aim of the proposal can be achieved.

I'm afraid I don't have a solution to the problem, but just wanted to flag
it up as an issue.

David