[OSM-talk] data plucked from who-knows-where?

Mon Nov 3 15:37:38 GMT 2008

80n wrote:

> Since street names are one of the harder bits of information to collect,
> what this user has done here looks like a very worthwhile contribution to
> the project.
>
> Perhaps we should even be encouraging users without GPS units to create this
> kind of topological map.  It looks reasonably usable and is very consistent
> with the wiki philosophy of incremental improvement.
>
> There are a lot more people without GPS units than there are with, and if
> they can get pleasure from recording street names like this, then the GPS
> mappers job is made much easier.

I like having 80n around here to speak wisely and calm down the rest
of us hotheads. :)

But we might need another tool to enable them to contribute this way -
I'm thinking OpenStreetBugs, Google Map Maker, and the painty thing
Oliver did the other year. Our current editors aren't really set up
for sketching, and correcting the Cheadle mapping is going to take
some poor soul(s) a lot of work.

Which begs a wider question... what, as a community, do we want our
editors to be?

cheers
Richard