[OSM-talk] Mapnik rendering of paths + place=locality in general

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Nov 4 17:18:22 GMT 2008

Hi,

Igor Brejc wrote:
> Anyway, I checked Tagwatch for Germany and it has
> some 17,000 paths, so it's not totally unused.

I checked a random sample. Of 10 "highway=path" objects I checked, 8 had
been "highway=footway" before someone decided to change it. One was a
"highway=residential" before. One was newly created as "highway=path".

I made an effort to select objects edited by different users.

So: Someone thought that dropping the well-established and well-working
highway=footway was a good idea. He or she seems to have managed to
convince people to actually *change* existing data to fit his new idea,
without, obviously, spending a second thinking about the data consumers
(i.e. renderers and others).

Unfortunately it is much too easy to upset things in this way, which is
simply irresponsible - if you break a working system then it is your
damn responsibility to get it working again, and not to complain about
others not following your command. (The "you" here being meant generally
- I know that you, Igor, were not involved.)

I have added the following to the "Proposed features" page but I fear
I'm fighting windmills here:

"Please note: OpenStreetMap software is designed and maintained by
individuals. They may or may not follow or like new feature proposals.
Do not expect that just because something passes a vote, it will
automatically show up in map renderings or influence routing. This is
true especially if you intend to change a hitherto working tag schema
into something else; the makers of maps and software will not
necessarily view this as an improvement, and unless you get their buy-in
beforehand, your change might actually worsen the OpenStreetMap user
experience. A majority of 5 or 10 or 50 votes out of tens of thousands
of contributors does not put you in a position to demand something from
software makers. If the success of your proposal depends on changes to
software, either find people who will do it for you or do it yourself."

Bye
Frederik