[OSM-talk] highway=track and motorcar=yes/no

Rainer Dorsch rdorsch at web.de
Tue Nov 4 22:05:28 GMT 2008

Am Dienstag, 4. November 2008 schrieb Nic Roets:
> Using the script below I found 219469 tracks of which 202630 did not have a
> motorcar= tag.
>
> My reasoning behind gosmore was that tracks not suitable for vehicles
> should be tagged as footway.

I think many tracks here could technically be used by motorcars, but motorcars
are not allowed to use it (except for some special cases like if you own land
which is accessible only using such a track or if you have special
permission).

A footway and a track (which is not allowed for cars) makes a huge difference
for cyclists though. Therefore I would be hesitant to tag all tracks as
footways (which would also be against common practice in osm).

> It's flawed because we so many unsurfaced way
> types. Perhaps we can adopt the following scheme ?
>
> highway=track defaults to motorcar=no
> highway=unsurfaced defaults to motorcar=yes
> highway=byway defaults to motorcar=yes

Looking at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features

I did not find highway=unsurfaced

How does it differ from the surface tag in Map_Features?

surface    paved /cobblestone /unpaved way
Apply to all types of highways. If the tag is not present, it is assumed
surface=paved, excepted for highway=footway. (sealed/unsealed outside UK).

For byway I have no preference, I assume there should be very few in Germany.

For track I am in favor of defaulting to motorcar=no, but let's wait what
others think....

Thanks,
Rainer