[OSM-talk] highway=track and motorcar=yes/no

Nic Roets nroets at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:18:08 GMT 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Ben Laenen <benlaenen at gmail.com> wrote:

> It may be better to let each country decide for itself in the end I
> guess.
>
> Ben

In addition to my previous objections, namely that newbies don't follow
standards, and that it make things difficult for OSM members traveling
internationally as well as all the downstream software (gosmore, mkgmap
etc), I have a new objection :

Some countries can't decide for themselves. We have set up
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/South_African_Tagging_Standards a
year and a half ago and now someone wants to change it :
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-za/2008-November/000299.html
And that's in a top 25 country with English as an official language.

For the sake of conformity I'm quite happy to adopt the German standard
namely that track defaults to motorcar=no.