[OSM-talk] proposal: relation type=way_affected ("on the beginning of the street")

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:01:23 GMT 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Stanislav Brabec <utx at penguin.cz> wrote:
> Hallo.
>
> "Just on the beginning of the private way" is one of the common places
> for barriers. Its mapping makes an apparent clash between reality and
> mapping schematic - there is no way to mark this fact exactly.
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.071094&lon=14.425607&zoom=18&layers=B000FFF
>
> You cannot draw the barrier just on the cross node - the main street has
> no gate, it's only on the private way. Drawing it on an additional node
> gives a bad assumption, that one should search a way with a gate say
> 10-20 meters from the cross.

Well, yes, it's actually not where the two roads cross, as far as I'm
concerned. Go stand in the very centre of the junction, right in the
middle of the road. Can you touch the barrier with your hand? No, it's
out of reach. How far from where you are standing? A few metres,
usually - roughly the width of the road.

So I don't see anything wrong with saying the barrier is a few metres
from the very centre of the junction. And your suggestion, by
comparision, is really overcomplicating things!

Cheers,
Andy