[OSM-talk] highway=track and motorcar=yes/no

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:21:47 GMT 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > JOSM "could" be extended to ask in the install : are you mapping in
> > Germany or in Italy ?
> >
> > If germany, a track could be recorded as :
> > highway=track
> > motorcar=no
> >
> > In Italy, a track could be recorded as :
> > highway=track
> > motocar=yes
>
> I like this idea of having country specific presets in the editors
> instead of having renderers to be country sprecific.

It's way too late for that for tags like highway=track. Access rules are
already heavily country dependent (highway=trunk allowing pedestrians
and bicycles or not for example; access=destination implying that
cyclists and horse drivers always have access in some countries,
destination traffic or not). The same with for example default maximum
speeds.

Tagging these default rules will be a nightmare if it's at some point
decided in country X to change the rules. You don't know anymore
whether the tag is there because it was added as default from JOSM or
another editor, or because it was explicitly signed

The way some country specific tags could work is to translate a concept
from that country (e.g. an "express road" which may be something
completely different in different countries and would need other tags).

Greetings
Ben