[OSM-talk] barrier=gate

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sun Nov 9 13:41:58 GMT 2008

On 09/11/2008 13:01, Ed Loach wrote:
> Richard asked:
>
>> Isn't the point of a gate that you can open it?
>>
>> i.e. traffic is allowed through, but for routing purposes
>> there's a
>> time penalty.
>
> I wouldn't have said so. The point of tagging is a gate is to show
> there is a gate across a way. Examples I've seen so far include a
> gate beyond which is a service road for a supermarket (so
> permissions for the service road are down to who the keyholder is,
> gates across footpaths (which can be opened), gates into fields (so
> the landowner has the key) and similar. There are lots of reasons
> for gates, but it's been a long, long time since I saw one across a
> road (I was in Scotland IIRC) which is like that you describe above.

Lot's of industrial estates and commercial parks have gates (many
attended). Chesterford Research Park in Essex wouldn't let me in through
their gate to map their extensive road system (and it's not as if  it is
one company's site or anything).

I've also encountered an increasing number of residential roads which
have gates, some of which you can get through, others ionly when a
resident comes out.

So the kinds of rural gate RF is referring to are declining, but urban
gates are on the increase.

David