[OSM-talk] barrier=gate

sergio sevillano sergiosevillano.mail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:17:34 GMT 2008

David Earl escribió:

>>> But the community has decided with a vote of 1:10 to use
>>> highway=barrier rather than barrier=gate.
>>>
>> It has not. There may be ten times more highway=gate in the DB than
>> barrier=gate, but what percentage of the community that is aware of
>> the new tags actually prefers the old tags when adding new objects?
>> You'd have to watch the relative frequency of the two tags over time
>> to see, which one is growing, and therefore, on which the community
>> has decided.

yep that´s the real vote and,  yes, higway=gate has 17000 uses and
barrier=gate has 1400 in europe
but barrier=gate is been there for just 2 weeks.

> It's a chicken and egg though. I really don't care what what the words I
> have to type to get a gate are, but if the renderers don't support the
> new tag I'll be inclined to carry on using the old one (since there is
> no advantage in using the new one, and the old one is built in to my
> fingers). Indeed, if the renderers don't actually drop support for the
> old one, I can't see any particular reason to change - the new tag
> doesn't do anything extra, it's just a self-selected group of people's
> preference for one word instead of another.

is just a matter of concept, a gate is a highway or a barrier?
and a matter of tag organization.

but the answer is up to each of us.
the use you choose will be that real vote
> And so long as I or others continue to use the old one, what incentive
> is there for the renderers to switch?
>
> David

osmrender does support "barrier=gate".