[OSM-talk] Openstreetmap iPhone app

Joseph Gentle josephg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 12:53:03 GMT 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:41 PM, John07 <osm at jonas-krueckel.de> wrote:
> Joe Richards schrieb:
>> Anyone who has played with an iPhone will have seen the Google maps application, which provides much of the functionality of the Javascript web app, while giving quite a good tactile feel....  It also uses wireless triangulation - or if available, GPS - to show search results for things that are near you.
>>
>> Is there any project to create a similar application for the iPhone that uses OSM maps and data sources?  I think it would be an excellent way to introduce OSM to people who have never seen it...  I would imagine the existing functionality of the Google Maps application, plus maybe the ability to do some small-scale editing such as adding nodes for things like amenities while you're out and about...
>>
> I think Openstreetbugs would be better for this.
>> Searching for existing apps showed me that some people have stuffed some openstreetmap tiles into the GMap application on the iPhone (basically a hack, replacing the cached tiles) - but that isn't the same as having global coverage, and making the app available via the AppStore (or iTunes) would present a huge new audience.
>>

> I thought of the same thing many times in the past. Such a app would be
> very cool.
> There are also the some webapps for a slippy map, but the usability
> isn´t that good.
> For ipod touch users like me a big cache would be very nice or a direct
> posibility to store some tiles for offline use. In the 2.0 version of
> the app maybe the developer could integrated some more osm-features like
> poi search or pedestrian routing. But rather start with only displaying
> maps and then integrate more and more.
>
> So, is there any iphone developer out there? I´m sure the osm foundation
> would sponsor the apple registration fee so that the app could be
> available for free. Or maybe cloudmade could develope an app. It would
> give osm a lot of publicity.

*waves*

I mentioned route-me because its my baby. Its a solid tile rendering
engine. The maps work fine, we have on-'disk' caching support for
tiles. Performance is similar to the built-in map app. There are a
couple annoying bugs which are being squashed. Marker support is
getting there.

If anyone is interested in wrapping an app around it and adding GPS
support & search I'll happily push it out to the app store (I have a
dev license). Other useful features to add include:
- Geotracing support
- Editing
- Routing

-J